Let's be real for a moment. No one wants to spend countless hours slaving away in the kitchen on top of juggling a busy schedule. There are so many better things that can be done! If it takes more than 30 minutes, I often won't even attempt to cook it. However, this dish only took me 40 minutes to cook. I did all of the prep work while the quinoa was cooking AND had time to fold 2 loads of laundry, clean the kitchen, and entertain my 7 month old. Some call me superwoman, but it honestly just boils down to the fact that I don't like to waste time (and it always helps that my daughter loves to chase me in her walker while I'm in the kitchen).
During the summers I am always looking for healthy, easy dishes that don't make the house any hotter than it has to be. Of course, it also has to be delicious. In a quest to use what we had at the house, I managed to make a simple and filling dish that the whole family seemed to love!
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: yields 6
- 1/2 pound shredded chicken
- 1 18oz can diced tomatoes (substitute for fresh tomatoes if you please)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (I used romaine since we had it in the house)
- Use a medium sized pot to cook the quinoa and follow the directions on the package.
- While the quinoa is cooking, shred and rinse the lettuce, and rinse and drain the black beans and tomatoes. Combine the three in a large bowl.
- Cook and shred the chicken while the quinoa is cooling.
- Add the quinoa and chicken to the bowl.
- Mix and add seasoning to taste.
You can add to this dish by incorporating lemon juice, which I plan to use the next time I make this. I also think I may incorporate some chickpeas as well!
Regardless, it was very easy to make, it was very time friendly, and it will definitely be seen in our house again!
Any additions you'd like to share? Comment below!